- Software Developer
- Reports to:
- Director of Technology
- Assembly Digital
- Victoria, BC
- Full time
Assembly (formerly a Redbrick company) is now proud to be part of SJC. SJC creates, publishes, and prints best-in-class content. SJC and Assembly are recognized as being the best at what they do, with a combined audience of over 35 million unique visitors per month.
SJC is Canada’s largest privately owned communications company. We partner with our clients to provide marketing solutions that inform, inspire, and empower audiences across every platform. As the owner and publisher of Canada’s most iconic portfolio of media brands—Maclean’s, Chatelaine, and Toronto Life to name a few—we provide incredible reach to an influential audience.
Assembly has been disrupting the digital publishing industry with innovative and award-winning technology that has turned traditional and digital media on its head. Since its inception, Assembly has experienced meteoric growth and now, as part of SJC, is positioned for the next phase of that growth.
SJC has been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the last 18 years.
Are you ready to join a forward-thinking, creative, and collaborative team? Then come join us at SJC Media in this Software Developer role.
In this role you will perform a range of tasks including
- day-to-day software development using a variety of programming languages and frameworks,
- database (SQL and NoSQL) development and administration,
- system configuration, deployment, and management of cloud hosted services,
- scripting to automate provisioning, deployments, and other tasks,
- system authorization and credential management,
- promoting industry best practices for software development, cyber security, continuous delivery, and DevOps,
- mentorship and code review guidance for junior developers,
- implementation of backup and recovery procedures according to industry best practices,
- contributing to systems operational design and deployment to ensure optimal system infrastructure and configurations,
- monitoring system operation—troubleshooting and/or escalating problems as necessary, including outside of standard work hours,
- writing and maintaining documentation for system configurations and standard operating procedures.
And a bit about you
As the ideal candidate, you are a software developer with experience in, or a strong interest in, DevOps. You love working with technology and thrive when presented with a challenge. You are not satisfied with first-order problem solving and instead prefer to understand a problem's root cause. You are comfortable working in an Agile/Lean development environment and your philosophy is "automate everything".
- a degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent,
- demonstrated experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS),
- experience with containers (Docker, AWS ECR, AWS ECS, and AWS Fargate),
- experience with relational databases (MySQL/MariaDB, Postgres),
- experience developing with REST APIs in a serverless environment (Lambda, Step Functions),
- knowledge of CI/CD pipelines (GitHub Actions, AWS CodeBuild),
- familiarity with CDNs (Cloudflare) and writing serverless "edge" code.
Knowledge of column store databases such as ClickHouse is an asset for this role.
- a collaborative team player,
- a critical thinker who can see the big picture,
- adept at questioning details and assumptions, making recommendations and solving problems effectively.
Learning on the fly and learning quickly are what you embrace as we move quickly in our pursuit of creative solutions and building for the future. We love testing the limits of technology and hope you do too.
If this sounds like you, please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected] and let’s chat.
- Amaze our customers: We put our customers’ evolving needs at the heart of the business and inspire through our ideas, quality and service.
- Be relentlessly curious: We take the initiative to learn, try new things and brainstorm the next big idea.
- Respect every individual as equal: We value diversity as the means to creativity and cultivate a collaborative environment where everyone belongs.
- Innovate and adapt with urgency: Forward-thinking and flexible, we react quickly and boldly to change.
- Contribute to our community: We apply our resources and passions to make a difference - for people and our planet.
- Health and Dental Benefits
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and online health & wellness resources with Homewood Health
- Scholarship program for employees’ children
- Exclusive employee magazine subscription rates
- Discounted annual GoodLife membership
- Perkopolis Perk Program and employee pricing at major retailers
Accommodations at SJC
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Inclusion at SJC
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal - both inside our walls and within the larger community.
Assembly’s office is on traditional Coast Salish territory and we respectfully acknowledge the Lekwungen and W̱SÁNEĆ People of this region. With gratitude, we live, work, and play on this beautiful land.